That Overall Moment

These past few days have been muggy muggy muggy. Add a sweaty, teething baby to the mix and you're in for a real sticky time. Something that can feel unbearable like the heat, have I mentioned that yet? Today I resorted to filling up Finley's baby bathtub with cold water and letting her splash around in it about every two hours. Then she plays or I feed her and she falls asleep in my arms and the cycle continues. My heart is beckoning for nap time and when it comes I am sitting in a puddle of sweat, counting the seconds until I can place her down in her crib so I can pee. Then, once I finally get her down, I stand around for a few minutes and wonder what I'll do with myself.

 It's a funny thing, we think of all the things we can get done when we're in the moments of rest and recharge, holding that sleeping baby, and when we finally get a second to ourselves we can't even clasp onto one thing we should do before she wakes up. Theres so much freedom that we tend to stop like a deer in the headlights.

I think that these are the moments when we should actually clasp onto God. Because those dishes can wait, that important shower can wait, (let's face it, you are going to be 100% sweaty again once you dry off), the laundry can wait. I always find myself living in a moment and thinking about the next one, my mind full speed ahead when my reality is the crawl of a turtle. But what if that reality that you're living in is God teaching you to slow down time and live in that moment? To let your eyes and hearts be clasped so securely to what is happening right then that nothing can break your focus? You see, I think walking with God is like wearing a good pair of overalls. I know, random, but just hear me out. Once you put them on, you're covered. You put that metal over the buttons and you're hooked. Put anything in those pockets and I guarantee you that they are not going to fall down like those loose fitting boyfriend jeans. Situations can come at you from left field, hitting you in the open spaces where all you have is a thin shirt to cover you, but the snaps are still clasped, they're not coming undone.

God is always there, even in all of those moments where we have a ton of pockets to fill. He's the clasp that holds it all together. So whether you are juggling a million different things or trying to take it one step at a time, remember to stop and let him sink in. Let him comfort you like that cozy pair of overalls. Just snuggle right up to him because like a good pair of overalls, the more you wear him, the comfier his love gets.


Comments

Popular Posts