Changing Seasons

Confession: Sometimes, as a mom I tend to close myself in and hide away at any chance I get. I enjoy being by myself and just listening to silence. Or eating something without a baby staring at me/clinging to me.
The thing is, before I became a mother I never even thought about this. About what my life would be like after it wasn't just my life anymore. I was looking through pictures the other day, and I couldn't help but be slightly jealous of what my life used to be like. Sleeping in, reading books, and sitting at my desk working on artwork for endless hours were familiar parts of my day. Now they're distant friends, and of course, as a mom, I then feel guilty for being jealous of my past freedom.
But I think that's normal. Change is inevitable in life, but at the same time, it takes getting used to. It's like how the seasons change. For instance, it's nearing the end of summer, and that bums people out. Late nights, relaxing swims, and warm weather are coming to an end as trees will slowly change the color of their leaves, temperatures will drop and that crisp autumn air will waft through our noses and whisper fall into our ears. And then we'll soon become accustomed to that cozy feeling of drinking warm apple cider, hearing the crunch of leaves beneath our boots, and seeing colors dance across the breeze.
You see, change is hard, but change is also adjustable. At first it can burn, sending searing pain through us, but it then it brings us to something sweeter.
Becoming a mother is life changing. It's sacrificing, pain inducing, sleepless, emotional, and heart-stretching. But change is good. It brings us out of our comfort zone so we can grow. Isn't that cool? God designed every piece of our life including the parts where there would be change. I read something today about how God never puts us through anything we can't handle. But the even greater part of that is he is there to help us handle. To remind us that we can't do it alone. Because sometimes you get handed a season that shocks you as you enter it. It's new, the leaves are changing, and you're starting to hear the wind around you grow stronger. But remember, He's bringing you through, and he's letting those elements enable you to ask Him for guidance through the crunch of the leaves. And pretty soon, it's gonna be ok and you're going to smell the cider. You're going to realize it was worth it to walk upon the trampled leaves because they led you to the sweet victory.
So whatever season you're in right now, weather it's swimming swiftly through the summer waters, or adjusting to the wind and crunchy autumn leaves, know that you're not alone. The Father's wrapping himself around you and covering you with his strength. He's walking with you and reminding you that the change is going to be worth it. One day the season will change and you'll realize the beauty that came from it and where it's leading you to.



Comments

Popular Posts